Virtual First Night Passover Seder with Rabbi Matt and Marie - 5781
Time & Location
About the Event
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING AND REGISTER
So many of us have looked forward to our community Seder here at Beth Israel, hosting our own with family and friends, or traveling far and wide to be with those we love and have shared many Passover celebrations before.
This year, I invite you all to “join” Marie and me in our home for first night of Passover.
March 27, 2021 6:00 PM
Zoom link and Password will be emailed on Friday the 26th.
Because sunset isn't until after 7:00, we are prohibited from doing Havdalah or lighting the holiday candles until after Shabbat goes out. However, to keep things within reasonable hours for all, we can begin telling the story first, then circle back to the candles and other Seder items that must wait until Yontif.
To paraphrase the Passover Haggadah, “Why is THIS Pesach going to be different than all other Pesachs?” I think we all know the answer to this question. And yet there are yet some surprises in store for us.
We suggest that you have the following essentials needed to fulfill the mitzvah of the Seder.
These would include:
• Candles for Yom Tov (don't light yet)
• Wine or Grape Juice
• A cup for Elijah
• Matzo – And something to wrap the middle piece in.
• Bitter Herbs (horseradish or some bitter leafy green like endive)
• Karpas (parsley, celery, some sort of green)
• A hardboiled egg
• The Pascal Offering (traditionally a shank bone, but feel free to print out a picture of a lamb)
• A bowl, pitcher, and towel for hand-washing.
• A bowl of salt water for dipping.
• And most importantly, your sense of wonder, your questions, and your hope for a better future.
I will be making an abridged Haggadah and will be using the “ScreenShare” feature on Zoom to we can all see it. I would like to make this Seder as interactive as possible and will ask many of you to take turns reading…and ALL questions during the seder are most welcome.